YOUTH DAY 2017 at the
Religious Education Congress
February 23, 2017
Held at the Anaheim Convention Center, 800 West Katella Ave., Anaheim, Calif. (just across from Disneyland).
see more of our Youth Day videos on our YouTube page
What is Youth Day?Youth Day is held annually on the Thursday of the Religious Education Congress weekend. It is a day just for youth from many different backgrounds from throughout the Archdiocese and beyond to participate in a Rally, Liturgy and Workshops focused just for them.
Who May Attend?
Youth Day is designed for all students from public and Catholic schools, grades 9 through 12. NOTE: Students below the 9th grade are not allowed to participate in this event and will be refused admission. One Adult Chaperone is required for each group of 10 students (maximum), all attending the same workshop. We recommend that you add one extra Chaperone name to your first registration.
New! Food Court in Hall C
We are excited to announce that this year Hall C at the Anaheim Convention Center will be transformed into a Food Court! All Hall C meal options are $10 tax included! Options include your entrιe, side, and a beverage. Choose from pizza, tacos, hot dogs, grilled cheese, hamburgers, cheeseburgers and more!
Additional seating and concessions will be available throughout the Convention Center such as by Eco Grounds, the Arena Grill, and the Grand Plaza. As you prepare for Youth Day, we encourage you to take advantage of this new option!
Sacred Space at Youth Day 2017
Again this year, Sacred Space will be a part of Youth Day. It provides a quiet place to pray in the chapel, an opportunity to walk the labyrinth, or discover an experience of prayer through a multimedia exhibit. Sacred Space is located in Convention 304. Hours are 7:30 am - 4:30 pm.
Official Youth Day 2017 T-shirts Deadline Approaching
Attention Group Leaders: Order your official Youth Day T-shirts in advance from Seraph7 Clothing! Youth Day T-shirts are available for custom and group pre-orders. Customize your Youth Day shirt with your youth ministry or parish name on the back for only $3 more. All orders with payment must be received by January 27, 2017 for direct shipping.
Special pre-order discount pricing (valid through January 27,2017)
T-shirts are $13* ($15 at Youth Day)
Hooded Sweatshirts are $25* ($30, limited quantity at Youth Day)
Adult Sizes S,M,L,XL,2XL,3XL,4XL
*2XL- 4XL sizes are $2 extra for T-shirts and $5 extra for hooded sweatshirts
Place orders online at www.seraph7.com or email them directly at email@example.com with any questions.
Youth Day Videos
What Are You Waiting For? It's our Youth Day 2017 theme. Watch this. Now. What Are You Waiting For? Watch our announcement video of the themes for Youth Day and Congress .. and all our posted videos on the Youth Day YouTube Channel! See our official announcement video from the #LAYouthDay 2016 theme -- #hopebound! See the video by Alanzo Moreno - The Making with Youth Day 2015 theme song "Talk Jesus With Me" written and performed by Jeremy and Ryan. Download the Youth Day 2015 Theme Song, "Talk Jesus," by Jeremy and Ryan.
What Does Youth Day Cost?
Registration for Youth Day 2017 is closed. Youth Day is separate registration and fee from the adult Congress days. The registration fee for Youth Day 2017 is $35 ($30 by January 13, 2017).
Youth Day Schedule
The schedule for Youth Day includes a morning Arena General Session (Track 1) or an afternoon Arena General Session (Track 2) -- so everyone gets to see the Arena Keynote -- two workshops chosen from among the Youth Day speakers and high-energy entertainment.
8:00 - 11:30 am
General Session Arena
8:00 - 8:30 am
Gathering & Praise / Worship
11:45 - 12:30 pm
8:45 - 9:45 am
12:45 - 1:45 pm
10:00 - 11:00 am
2:00 - 3:00 pm
11:15 - 12:00 pm
3:15 - 3:45 pm
Praise / Worship & Sending
12:15 - 3:45 pm
General Session Arena
About the Youth Day 2017 ThemeOur Theme this year is "What Are You Waiting For?"
The readings for Youth Day 2017 are about conversion, a change of heart. That change of heart is conveyed in each of the readings. The first reading from Sirach tells us to not delay, but rather turn to Jesus before it is too late. The Gospel from Mark gives us a look at what to expect if we hesitate or put off turning to the Lord, or if we lead others astray. He speaks of an unquenchable fire where suffering never ends. So why wait to convert and change our ways? The time is now! This years theme is a question: What are you waiting for?
What Are You Waiting For? is first and foremost a call to action, a wakeup call. Jesus invited us to turn to him and to not delay. However, it is also our call to reflection. It gives us a chance to examine our lives and our faith journey and encourages us to bring our hopes, fears, doubts, and dreams to the Lord. Christ awaits you with open arms. So, what are YOU waiting for?
Youth Day 2017 Information Download the Youth Day Section from the Registration Guidebook
Theme: "What Are You Waiting For?"
See the Youth Day Rules
Download the Youth Day parish/school permission card Retreat Registration Card (PDF: 2 pgs, 1.3 MB)
View the Youth Day Schedule
See the Youth Day Workshops
Download the 2017 Youth Day Map -- Track 1 Track 2
About Youth Day from the Youth Ministry E-VINE
The Office of Religious Education distributes the Youth Ministry E-VINE emailing, highlighting important information in the field of Youth Ministry for the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. Excerpts relating to Youth Day appear here. Add information for the Youth Ministry E-VINE can be found at the end of the messages.
Youth Day & Social Media
Connect with us on social media! You can post, tweet, share, like and/or create videos. We look forward to connecting with you online! The hashtags for all Youth Day activity is #LAYouthDay.
Volunteering at Youth Day 2017
Adult Volunteers -- The Youth Day staff invites any adult not chaperoning a parish or school group to be a volunteer for our event. Youth Day volunteers are assigned to a variety of positions throughout the day. This is a great way to experience Youth Day without the duties of being a chaperone and to enjoy our event for free of charge. To volunteer for Youth Day 2017, all adults must be compliant with their Dioceses Safe Environment policies and procedures (fingerprinting/background checks, etc.) including compliance with required Safe Environment Adult Training. Please contact your Diocesan Youth Ministry Office to find out details about your required programs. For more information about volunteering or to submit your name to be part of our team, please contact Erin Avila at RECYouthDay@gmail.com or at (559) 259-8232. Come join the fun! We need you.
Every year, numerous youth share their gifts and talents in various roles to help make Youth Day a success. High school teens are invited to consider volunteering in one of the following ways:
- Hospitality Youth who are outgoing and enjoy interacting with their peers are invited to get the crowd pumped throughout all the various locations at Youth Day with chants, signs and cheers. They help promote the theme and direct attention to social media.
- Liturgical Ministries We need youth who serve within the Eucharistic Mass as cross-bearers, candle-bearers, altar servers, gift-bearers and other assisting roles to support our ritual worship.
- Movement & Dance Youth who express themselves best with their body -- we need dancers of all styles, gymnasts, tumblers, jugglers. Some may lead the assembly in gesture or sign-language and ritual movement during liturgy.
- Music Singers, instrumentalist and others who have a passion for performing music are invited to join a choir led by Ed Archer for liturgy. Instrumentalists will audition for places in the ensemble.
- Production & Technology Youth will have opportunities within three different areas: social media, visual projections at workshops, and as stage-hands working with props, small set-pieces and other on-stage elements. .
- Speaking Role We are seeking youth to serve as hosts, lectors or may provide narration, storytelling, acting and other spoken word. Youth also have opportunities to introduce the speakers/presenters in their sessions.
Youth Day Training Day -- Our Youth Day Training Day took place on Saturday, October 29, 2016 from 9 am-2 pm at Holy Family Church, 1527 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA 91030. For further information, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Final Dress Rehearsal is Wednesday, February 22 from 5 pm-9 pm (or later) at the Anaheim Convention Center. Youth introducing workshop speakers (workshop Emcees) are NOT required to attend the Final Dress Rehearsal. All other youth volunteers are required to attend.
The following commitments are required by all youth volunteering for Youth Day:
- Registration: Youth volunteers and their Chaperones must register for Youth Day 2017 at the regular registration rate. Registration can be completed with your parish/high school OR as an individual with appropriate Chaperones.
- Participation: Youth volunteers must participate fully and be present throughout Youth Day to serve in their assigned roles. This will limit their opportunity to experience other aspects of Youth Day.
- Chaperone: Youth volunteers must be accompanied and supervised at all times by their Chaperone who meets the following requirements:
- Is at least 21 years old (Note: must be at least 25 years old to drive minors);
- Is in compliance with ADLA Safeguard the Children guidelines (or the equivalent from your own diocese);
- Is committed to being present and available at all gatherings, rehearsals and events;
- Chaperones should review and adhere to the "Policies Applicable to All Field Trips, Excursions, and Activities" described in section 12.3.1 of the ADLA Handbook;
- Expenses: Youth volunteers and their Chaperones are responsible for any expenses (travel, accommodations, meals, etc.) related to their participation in Youth Day unless other arrangements for financial support are made with their parish, school or organization.
Questions about the involvement of high school teens in Youth Day can be emailed to email@example.com .